Getting Your Computer Ready for eBooks
(You only have to do this once per computer)
Adobe Digital Editions
STEP 1: Create a free account with Adobe
- Go to http://bit.ly/newadobeid.
- Click 'Get an Adobe ID' to get started.
- Fill in the form.
- This will establish your Adobe ID and password.
- Remove the check in the box for 'Stay informed via email about Adobe products and services' if you do not wish to have Adobe contact you.
- Click 'Sign Up'.
- You have created your Adobe ID.
- Adobe may ask you for more information. You can provide it if you want but it is not necessary.
You now have an Adobe account and you will receive a confirmation email soon.
STEP 2: Download and install Adobe Digital Editions
- Go to http://www.adobe.ly/deditions.
- Find the 'Download' link.
- Select your operating system.
- Follow the prompts, clicking 'Yes', 'Next' and 'Install' where appropriate. (Adobe Digital Editions should open automatically when the download and installation is complete.)
- Click 'Continue'.
- When prompted, authorize your computer by supplying the Adobe ID and password that you created in Step 1.
Your computer is now ready for eBooks.
Whenever you use a new device with Adobe Digital Editions, you will be prompted to 'authorize' it using your Adobe ID. You can authorize up to 6 computers and 6 mobile devices.
Our OverDrive site is http://henrico.lib.overdrive.com
Our Freading site is http://henricolibrary.freading.com
Need more help? Visit our eBooks page, contact your local branch, or use our Ask a Librarian online form.