Follow the steps below and you'll be reading free eBooks from the library in a few minutes.
Before you get started, you will need to create a free account with Adobe. Go to http://bit.ly/newadobeid to sign up with Adobe. Click 'Get an Adobe ID' to get started.
- Fill in the form
- Uncheck the 'Stay informed' box if you don't want to receive email from Adobe.
- Click 'Sign Up'.
- You have created your Adobe ID.
- Adobe may ask you for more information. You can provide it if you want but it is not necessary.
Did you write your password down? Is it something you can easily remember? Let's get started!
Step One - Download Adobe Digital Editions
This is the software you will use to manage all of the eBooks you check out from the library. You must have this installed on your computer. Visit http://adobe.ly/deditions, select 'Download', choose Macintosh or Windows then follow the instructions to download and install the latest version of Adobe Digital Editions
- Once Adobe Digital Editions is installed you will be asked to authorize your computer.
- Use the email address and password you created above to authorize your computer.
Step Two - Find and download a book
Now that you have Adobe Digital Editions installed, it's time to find something good to read.
- Go to http://henrico.overdrive.com.
- Browse or search for an eBook you want.
- Click 'Borrow' and sign in when prompted
- Continue browsing for titles or go to the 'Loans' section of your account.
- Click the 'Choose a Format' button.
- Select EPUB eBook.
- Click on 'Confirm & Download'.
- Download the book to your computer.
- If prompted, choose to open the file.
- Adobe Digital Editions should open automatically when the book is done downloading.
Step Three - Transfer the book to your Nook
Time to take that book on the road. Let's transfer it to your Nook.
- Connect your Nook to your computer.
- A link for your Nook will be displayed in the left column of Adobe Digital Editions.
- The first time you use a new device with Adobe Digital Editions, you will be prompted to 'authorize' it. If prompted, follow the instructions on your screen, using the Adobe ID created above.
- Click on the eBook you want to transfer.
- Drag and drop the eBook to the link for your Nook under 'Devices'.
- The eBook is transferred to your Nook.
- Disconnect your Nook.
- Your eBook will not show up where your B&N books are stored. Look for it in 'My Documents' or 'My Files'.
*If you have a Nook Glowlight Plus take a look at these additional instructions from OverDrive for transferring eBooks to your device and this article about an issue with the Glowlight Plus.
Our OverDrive site is http://henrico.overdrive.com