Who's the Mama here? If Mama ain't happy - ain't nobody happy, right?
Take a peek at these and see how YOUR Mama style is fairing. Even Mamas can tweak their strategies to assure that everyone is well cared for and happy - Mama MOST of all!
- Calmer, Easier, Happier Parenting by Noel Janis-Norton - when you tell your children what to do, often they are barely listening; when your children tell you what they need to do, they are much more likely to remember to do it; also, peek at the checklists within to learn how to reduce sibling squabbling, monitor screen time, and to motivate kids to tidy up after themselves.
- Family Whispering by Melissa Blau & Tracy Hogg - learn to balance the "we" and the "I" - end the "chore wars" and enlist help so that you are not always "the designated doer."
- Surviving Your Child's Adolescence by Carl Pickhardt - invite your child to start to think maturely (and partially mother themselves). Have your child always ask these 3 questions of themselves BEFORE they act: "Why would I want to do this?," "How might I get hurt?," and, "Is it worth the risk?."
- Mindful Parenting by Kristen Race - schedule a day with NO schedules; ideas included for the lost art of merely 'hanging out' (including games).
- Parenting Without Borders: Surprising Lessons Parents Around the World Can Teach Us by Christine Gross-Loh - learning to do chores is a predictor of success in life - kids that can pull their own weight become adults that can do the same. In addition, offering children more autonomy paired with high expectations can help create confident, self-directed kiddos. Learn from successful mamas in Finland, Sweden, Japan, China, Germany, and more.