Job Hunting at the Library
Our specially trained librarians are happy to offer assistance.
Checklist Before Applying for Jobs Online
- Email address.
- Prepare your resume.
- If you don't have your resume as an electronic document, you can create one. Click here to download a basic Word resume template to get started. (Created by HCPL Librarians) Note: If you are accustomed to using our old resume template, you can download it here.
- Monster.com suggestions
- Having trouble? Ask at your library's Information Desk for help with setting up your resumé. Direct help may be available as time permits.
- Save your resume.
- In addition to your finished Word file, save a copy of your resume as a plain text file. This can open on any computer, and will allow you to easily copy and paste your resume text into online application forms.
- Keep your resume handy.
- Make sure you can easily access your resume when needed. Carrying your resume files on a flash drive is recommended.
Find Books on Careers and Job Search
Search the Library's Catalog
Select Subject from the drop-down box of search options. Enter search terms such as: Career Changes, Career Development, Cover Letters, Employment Interviewing, Job Hunting, Professions, Resumés, Vocational Guidance, and Occupations.
Also, try more specific terms relating to your occupation of interest. For example, if you are interested in nursing, try a subject search using the terms Vocational Guidance Nursing.
Browse the Shelves
Below are shelf locations where job-hunting materials can be found:
|650.14||Resumés, cover letters, and interviewing|
Helpful Local Agencies
- Virginia Employment Commission: information on unemployment benefits, including a handbook for claimants and job seekers, answers to commonly asked questions, and relevant statutes, regulations, and case law.
- Resource Workforce Center: A federally funded organization that provides workforce services to employers, youth, adults, and dislocated workers. Free.
- Building Bridges to New Beginnings Employment Guide from United Way
- Goodwill Job Readiness
- Local Quick Reference Guide by Resource Workforce Investment Board that provides phone numbers in the Central VA area for various services.
- Henrico County Social Services
- Starting, Relocating, or Expanding Your Business in Richmond, VA
- Networking Organizations. 80% of all job opportunities are found though networking.
- Yahoo! en Español: Correo
Free Yahoo! mail with a Spanish-language interface.
- Buscando Trabajo
Offers advice en Español for writing el currículum (resumé) and la carta de presentación (cover letter).
- Print material at the library under call number 650.14
Search for Jobs
- Job Search Privacy
- Local Job Listings
- Virginia/State Job Listings
- Government Job Listings Websites
- Federal/National Jobs at USAjobs.gov
- Popular Job Listings
- Using Social Media to search for jobs
- Job Search Tracking form