New backpack, new sneakers, new pencils—it’s back to school time! With all the wonderful newness of a school year beginning, there often comes the awful age-old problem that stumps parents: how do I protect my child from bullies? Or worse, what do I do if my child is the bully?
The experts at the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) have put their heads together to find a way to help and have come up with a new app to help parents find their way through this minefield. The KnowBullying app is available for free on both iPad/iPhone and Android.
The app features:
- Conversation starters to help parents open and maintain lines of communication with their children.
- Tips for preventing bullying, designed for use with different age groups.
- Warning signs to help parents recognize when a child might be bullying others or being bullied themselves.
- Going to be driving to a soccer game? The app lets you set reminders to use those conversation starters in the car on the way. You may also set reminders for different children.
- Suggestions for handling bullying once it occurs, and working with educators to successfully resolve problem situations.
The app is simple and straightforward with an easily navigable list of resources. Fortunately for parents with school age children, there’s a ton of helpful information here—enough to fill that brand new backpack!