Hey Child Care Providers!
We just learned about a free learning opportunity for child care providers.
This comes to you from the Virginia Project Learning Tree, a group dedicated to supporting educators working with children on environmental topics:
"We are pleased to present a unique opportunity from Virginia Project Learning Tree (PLT).
Early childhood educators living and/or working in the greater Richmond area can receive PLT’s award-winning educational, professional development, and classroom materials—at no cost beginning September 1, 2015!
Contact with nature has a positive impact on children’s learning, health, and behavior. Let PLT help you foster young children’s wonder and curiosity about the natural world as you safely take your young learners outdoors and bring nature into the classroom.
Enroll at www.plt.org/onlinePD-VA-EC by creating a new account. When you are asked to pay for the course, apply the promo code PLTRICHMOND, and you will be enrolled in the course at no cost.
PLT will help you:
- Engage children ages 3 to 6 in experiencing nature—both outside and indoors.
- Make learning and teaching fun with hands-on activities that integrate investigations of nature with art, literature, math, music, and movement.
- Teach core subjects (especially reading, writing, science, and math) and develop gross and fine motor skills.
- Meet learning standards (including the National Association for the Education of Young Children Standards and Head Start Child Outcomes Framework).
- Meet your professional development requirements.
- Become eligible to receive a PLT GreenWorks! grant to fund projects for your students.
After you sign up, you will receive:
- An electronic copy of PLT’s Environmental Experiences for Early Childhood activity guide and music CD. Instructions for accessing the guide and music are provided upon course enrollment.
- Access to a self-paced online workshop (approximately 2 hours). This online workshop can be completed in your own time, wherever you are, as long as you have Internet access. Make sure to remember your self-created username and password in order to log back into the online workshop.
Access to the Virginia PLT Early Childhood Educators Listserv, with weekly “Ask the Expert” themes throughout October.
- Opportunity to attend the Celebrating Early Childhood Educators event, November 7th, 2015, from 8:00 a.m. to noon at the Science Museum of Virginia in Richmond. Only individuals who have completed the online workshop are eligible to attend the celebration, and registration is limited to the first 150 to sign up. At the event, you will receive a free hard copy of the PLT Environmental Experiences for Early Childhood activity guide and CD, as well as a kit containing useful resources. The event will include activity modeling and networking time with fellow educators, PLT facilitators, and local experts.
- 6 contact hours, after you complete the online workshop, engage on the listserv, and attend the November 7 celebratory event.
Virginia PLT State Coordinator