A Henrico library card allows you to
Your library card is good at all of the Henrico Library branches including the Mobile Library Services.
- Check out print, audio, and video materials
- Access premium online articles and information
- Use a computer at our libraries
- Renew in person, by telephone or online
- Place a hold on items and choose which location to pick them up
You need to provide a photo ID and proof of current address
The following are examples of acceptable documents:
- Photo identification from an official source:
- Valid Driver's License Valid Virginia ID card
- Proof of residential address:
- Checks with names and address printed on them
- Utility bill in your name
- DMV Address verification postcard
- Virginia Voter's registration card
- Cancelled mail in your name and address dated within the last 30 days
- Employment or Insurance ID with address
Business licenses cannot be accepted as proof of taxes paid.
Eligibility- Any resident of Henrico, Richmond or Chesterfield may register and borrow library materials. To register as a Henrico County Public Library user, you must show proof of meeting eligibility requirements. New residents who do not yet have proof of address can obtain a non-renewable 28-day library card that that provides limited access. Once proof of street address and photo I.D. are shown new residents can receive a card with full privileges. If your home address is in Goochland, Hanover, King and Queen, or King William County, you may qualify for a card through our reciprocal agreement with Pamunkey Regional Library System.
If your county is not specifically listed, you may apply for non-resident card at the cost of $25.00 per year or a temporary card at the cost of $13.00 per six months. For Non-resident and Temporary cards, you must visit your local library branch. An individual who works for Henrico County, but who resides outside of the consortium area, will be issued a County of Henrico Library card upon presentation of their current Henrico County employee identification card or pay stub.
- An individual who lives in another county, but who owns property in Henrico County, will be treated as a resident of the county upon presentation of a current paid tax receipt. A current receipt must be presented in lieu of payment each year at the time the card is renewed.
- Any Henrico tax receipt (real estate or personal property) is acceptable and may be used in lieu of the non-resident fee.
Juveniles- To obtain a library card, juveniles under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. The parent or legal guardian assumes responsibility for proper use of the library card as well as payment of fines or lost or damaged materials fees.
Additional Authorized User-
As a library cardholder you have the option to add an authorized user to access your Henrico County Public Library account for the purposes of paying fines, checking out library holds, renewing borrowed materials, and verifying what materials are checked out on your account. The authorized user will not have access to your library card number, and may not check out additional library materials on your account. If an authorized user needs to be removed from the account, it is your responsibility to do so by contacting the library. Ask at the check-out desk at your library to fill out a quick form to add an authorized user.
Benefits- Your library card is good at all of the Henrico County branches including the Mobile Library Services. A Henrico library card allows you to:
- check out print, audio, and video materials
- access our online databases through our website
- login on public access computers at our branches
- check out at any branch and return to any other branch
- renew in person, by telephone or online (unless hold requests have been recorded for those items or maximum number of renewals has been reached)
- place a hold on items and choose which location to pick them up (holds may not be placed on some items including Bestsellers and Reference items)
You may apply for a Henrico library card in the following ways:
- Online Form- Register online by using our online registration form.
- In-person- Visit any of the Henrico County Public Library branches and fill out a library card registration form.
- Pre-register- Pre-register by printing the registration form, (Formulario de registración) fill it out, then bring it to any of our branches.