Follow the steps below and you'll be listening to free Audiobooks from the library in a few minutes.
With OverDrive Media Console you can download and transfer Audiobooks from your computer to your MP3 player and/or smartphone. For most smartphones the OverDrive App may be an easier way to listen to OverDrive audiobooks.
Step One - Download OverDrive Media Console
This is the software you will use to manage all of the Audiobooks you check out from the library via OverDrive. You must have this installed ON YOUR COMPUTER (not a library computer).
- Visit http://app.overdrive.com/ and follow the instructions for downloading and installing the latest version of the OverDrive Media Console.
- If you are using a Windows computer, you will probably have to upgrade the Windows Media Player Security.
- Go to Tools > Windows Media Player Security Upgrade and follow the prompts.
Step Two - Find a book to download
Now that you have OverDrive Media Console installed it's time to find an audiobook to listen to.
- Go to http://henrico.overdrive.com.
- Browse or search for an Audiobook you want.
- Click 'Borrow' and sign in when prompted.
- Continue browsing for titles or go the 'Loans' section of your account.
- Click the 'Download' button and select 'Save' when prompted to download the book to your computer.
- Open the file and follow the prompts to download the book.
- It will be divided into different parts. Select some or all of them to download.
Step Three - Transfer the book to your device
Time to take that book on the road. Let's transfer it to your media player.
- Connect your player to your computer.
- Select on the Audiobook you want to transfer. Click 'Transfer'.
- Follow the prompts and select your device from the dropdown menu labeled 'Player' when given the chance.
- Choose the parts you want to transfer.
- Your Audiobook will be transferred to your device.
Note: If you are using an Apple device you will need to have iTunes open to transfer your Audiobook. You will also have to select the 'Manually manage audio and video' option within iTunes the first time you transfer an Audiobook to your device.
Our OverDrive site is http://henrico.overdrive.com