What is Libby?
Libby is a new app from OverDrive that you can use to browse, check out, download, and enjoy eBooks or audiobooks on your mobile device. It allows you to:
- Add multiple library cards, even from different libraries
- Download eBooks and audiobooks for offline reading, or stream them to save space
- Automatically synchronize your location in a book across multiple devices
- Keep track of your reading history in the Activity tab
Libby does not replace the OverDrive app, which is still available to use if you prefer it. Titles that you borrow in Libby will also be available in OverDrive, and vice versa.
What Devices Work with Libby?
- Apple iPad and iPhone
- Android phones and tablets
- Windows 10 devices
What You'll Need
- Your HCPL Library card
- Internet access
- A mobile device
- Find the free Libby app in your device’s app store and install it.
- If you have an optional OverDrive account, you can use it to sign in. Otherwise, tap Find My Library to find and select a Henrico County Public Library location.
- Tap Add Your Card to sign in using your library card number.
The screen has two white buttons at the bottom:
Library (where you start) allows you to browse and search the library’s collections.
- Browse the collections by scrolling. You can click links to see more titles in a collection.
- Use Search the catalog to find titles by author, title, series name, or subject. Tap more for advanced options.
- Tap a cover that interests you for more information, and to borrow it or place a hold. You can also apply tags to help you find the title later.
Shelf lists the Loans you have checked out, the Holds you have placed, and a log of your Activity. Titles you borrow will be added to your Shelf, and will download to the app automatically for reading offline.
- Tap Open Book or Resume to begin reading or listening.
- Tap the cover image for more options, including:
- Renew your loan
- Return the title
- Send an eBook to a Kindle
The circular button between Library and Shelf shows the title you last read or listened to, if it’s still checked out. Tap it to quickly resume reading or listening.
When reading, tap the edges or swipe to turn pages. Tap the center to show controls.